Easter is one of my favorite times to gather with family and celebrate both Jesus’s resurrection and the arrival of spring. With my children still young enough for Easter bunny visits, it’s also a bit magical, so I really love going all out. I want their memories of holidays to be special and full of tradition. Plus, I love menu planning and table setting and all that goes along with entertaining! BUT I also want to enjoy the day myself…
To make your Easter memorable (and keep your sanity), here are our top entertaining tips for this spring celebration:
- KEEP IT SIMPLE! Yes, you can go out and buy a million egg trinkets and bunny knick-knacks, but just because the party is for Easter, doesn’t mean it has to be over the top themed. (That’s not to say cute little touches like this bunny bowl filled with glitter eggs aren’t welcome!) In our opinion, the best parties have good food, cold drinks, and fun guests! Nothing is easier than a brunch because you can make most everything the night before and let everyone snack on a cheese tray while the food is warming. Easy peasy!
- Decorate with food. This is one of my favorite approaches to a pretty tabletop. Cheese trays are a no brainer because they are simple to arrange, they always look stunning, and they pair nicely with just about any meal. FYI, if you have one nearby, Trader Joe’s is my favorite for supplying this easy snack. They have so many options of cheeses, meats, nuts, spreads, crackers, and fruits, and it is so much more affordable than most other grocery stores! This multi-colored tomato tart also added a pop of color to our table and is delicious served both warm and at room temperature. Dessert displays are another great way to decorate with food, as well as bowls of fruit and festive beverages.
- Melamine is your friend. Back in the day, our only options for outdoor dining were risking our nice dishes or resorting to not so festive paper plates. Now, there are so many adorable melamine dishes, like these pretty floral plates and this sleek white tray from Magpie’s. Perfect for an outdoor spring fete, especially one that involves children!
- Don’t forget about tradition. As I was getting my usual fix of Cadbury mini eggs at the grocery store, my kids both got excited and asked whether we were going to make the Rice Krispie Treat bird nests for the chocolate eggs “like we always do.” I never realized how much they like doing that, but their enthusiasm made me realize it’s a tradition in the making and I love that! The traditions your family embrace year after year may not seem all that noteworthy or special, but when you think about it, these little things are the ones you will all remember and talk about years down the road.
- Last but not least, EASTER BASKETS! As a mom, Easter baskets have become something I look forward to all year! Similar to stocking stuffers, Easter basket goodies are generally more fun than regular Christmas or birthday presents in that they are usually complete surprises and not based on a list of wants. To me, that makes it all the more fun. A few ideas of things we like to use for these fun treats are:
- Plush animals;
- Activity books like Mad Libs or coloring books;
- Lip gloss;
- Flip flops;
- Rain boots;
- Water bottles;
- Card games;
- Fun pens or pencils;
- Small musical instruments (think harmonicas);
- Small Lego sets;
- Casual jewelry;
- Baseball cards.
And of course….CANDY, CANDY, CANDY!! We filled these cute basket with goodies from Magpies, and the baskets themselves are Pottery Barn Kids (currently on sale!). If you haven’t been in Magpie’s lately, you’re missing out! I know saying they have something for everyone sounds contrived, but for real….they do! Whether you need a baby gift, a teacher gift, a birthday gift, a husband gift, or you’re just looking for some cool stuff for your home, they really do have a little bit of everything. They are even offering interior design services and custom upholstered pieces now. Everything is well curated and feels current and chic. The second generation version of this family-owned classic Houston boutique is at once fresh and comfortably traditional, like a perfect Southern lady ought to be! We found everything we needed for our Easter celebration in this precious shop, and I’ll be back before end-of-year teacher gifts are needed!
As a side note, I picked up this fun floral number from Cheeky Vintage. Check them out if you’re in the Shepherd Plaza/Upper Kirby/Montrose area and in the market for something no one else is wearing! Their inventory is amazing, and they are the sweetest!
Happy Easter to you all!
For God so loved the world that he gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Tabletop Decor and Easter Basket Goodies: Magpie’s Gifts | Dress: Lilli Diamond at Cheeky Vintage | Earrings: Impressions of Santa Fe | Easter baskets: Pottery Barn (here and here for similar) | Tulip table and chairs: Lam Bespoke